Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Freed from the can!

For a while I've felt guilty and a little nauseous when cooking with canned condensed soups. It doesn't look appealing, it usually doesn't smell appealing... Last Christmas at my husband's family's get together someone made a scrumptious Green Bean Casserole with what I think was homemade Cream of Mushroom soup. There were these nice big tender (but not mushy) chunks of mushroom in it. It was fabulous! It inspired me to try and make my own soups, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. I mean, it's bound to be cheaper than buying the can of gloop!
So I went in search of a something to replace Cream of Chicken soup and I found a great, easy recipe.

Here's what it looks like finished:
And the mess?
And that's more mess than was needed because I chopped up some fresh parsley instead of using dried (it's prettier). It only too me about 15 minutes total, and that includes waiting for the broth and milk to boil.
It needed a little salt, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I used a low sodium broth. Next time I'm going to try and make my own broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment